Training for the 2009 Games
Now that we know we are probably not getting adequate sleep to optimize performance, what can we do about it?
1. Limit caffeine intake
2. Limit alcohol consumption
3. Sleep in a place with a comfortable temperature and without noise interruptions.
4. Sleep in a dark room.
5. Practice stress-releasing activities
6. Power down and hour before bed (no cell phones, computers or tv)
7. Try to keep a consistent sleep schedule, getting to bed and waking at roughly the same time every day
8. Don't let pets sleep in the bedroom as they can be disruptive of shut eye
9. Avoid napping
10. Keep a sleep journal
Some of these solutions may not be realistic for all of us, but just like individualizing a nutrition plan, it's important to do your best and find out what works for you. Sweet dreams.